Thursday, December 19, 2013

Eggnog Recipes


Eggnog -- plain and simple it is one of the true delights on her list and has been since she was 3 months old. By her second Christmas she’d ask for “nogk-nogk” and the name stuck. Being a mother who wants to major on my family’s likes and to minor on their dislikes (those good-for-them foods that I have to use every culinary skill in my arsenal to make them eat), I have been experimenting with eggnog.  Not only do I sometimes make my own, but I use it as a substitute in other recipes during the season when it is available in stores.  We have tried dozens of brands and our favorite is a store-brand from our local store: Publix.  They even carry a lower calorie version and I have used it in all these recipes and it did just fine. All these recipes work just as well with a commercial brand of eggnog.

So, I guess I should start with how to make your own Nogk-Nogk.  Without taking up the 3 pages that I did in my cookbook: Mega Cooking (pages 203-5) let me give you a fast run-down on how to make your own eggnog and a few ideas on things to do with it. The last three recipes are new and not previously published.

For this blog page, I'll post each recipe separately.  Also, all these eggnog recipes are available as an article in our FREE online magazine: Blessed Living Women's E-Magazine at www.blwemag.com.

We have also started a podcast on BlogTalkRadio or available from the magazine website.

Here's a recipe for homemade eggnog.

Nogk-Nogk -- Eggnog

(For those of you who don’t speak “infant” --  that’s Eggnog)
This “x1” recipe makes approx. 4 8-ounce servings. When I make it I “x4” the recipe.

6 eggs (pasteurized egg product equivalent)
½ cup sugar (or equivalent)
2 cups half ‘n half
2 cups milk
Dashes of fresh nutmeg

1. Separate eggs. Leave whites out at room temperature. (Research egg safety in your spare time and use “safe” eggs.)
2. In a large bowl beat the egg yolks.
3. Add the sugar. Mix well.
4. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff.
5. Fold the egg whites into the sugared egg yolks.
6. Slowly add the half ‘n half and milk. Fold gently.
7. Chill until very cold. (Best if chilled at least 12 hours before serving.)
8. Dispense. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Freeze any extra. I like to use coated milk cartons for freezing eggnog blocks. You can also freeze some of it in ice cubes for a delicious snack.

The next recipe will be Eggnog Bavarian Pie.

No comments: